April 15, 2019
If you’ve ever thought of adopting a wild horse, NOW is the time! However, you need to act fast because the online event will run March 19-26. The event will start at 1:30pm Mountain time on March 19 and will close at 4pm Mountain time on March 26. Here is where you can go online to view the animals up for adoption: https://wildhorsesonline.blm.gov/Animals. Keep in mind, you can pick up your new horse or burro at the Southeastern Livestock Pavilion May 10th!
The U.S. government has a program to pay up to $1000 to people willing to adopt an untrained wild horse or burro to help with the overpopulation of these beautiful animals in the wild! This incentive is part of the Interior Department’s effort to encourage more adopters to give a wild horse or burro a good home.
Known as the “Adoption Incentive Program,” this program has been established by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM). The goal is to reduce the agency’s “recurring costs to care for unadopted and untrained wild horses and burro while helping to enable the BLM to confront a growing over-population of wild horses and burros on fragile public range lands.”
The Adoption Incentive Program allows qualified adopters to receive up to $1,000 when adopting an eligible wild horse or burro on or after March 12, 2019. Under this program, adopters are eligible to receive:
- $500 within 60 days of adoption of an untrained wild horse and burro
- $500 within 60 days of titling the animal.
The incentive is available for all untrained animals that are eligible for adoption, including animals at BLM facilities, off-site events and on the Online Corral. A $25 fee applies at the time of adoption.
How to adopt or purchase a wild horse or burro:
Qualified adopters must meet standard requirements for owning and caring for a wild horse and burro, including specific facility parameters and shelters to ensure the safety and health of the animals. In general, when adopting or purchasing an animal at an internet event, prospective adopters or purchasers should follow the steps outlined below.
- Apply: Create an Online Corral Profile, complete an adoption or sales application, and submit on-line.
- Bid: Once the BLM approves your application, you are eligible to adopt or purchase your very own wild horse or burro. You may bid on the number of animals you are approved to adopt or purchase. The individual animal page from the gallery will display purchase methods and the current bid information. You can increase the current bid from $5 to $250 with each new bid. You may raise your own bid at any time. Proxy bidding allows the system to bid for you. Proxy bidding will automatically raise your bid (by $5) up to your maximum, every time your high bid is challenged. Bidders can raise their maximum bid throughout the bidding process.
- Finalize: Submit payment, select your preferred pick-up option and finalize all Private Care, and Maintenance Agreements or Bills of Sales.
- Pick up: Pick up of your newly adopted or purchased wild horse or burro directly from the off-range corral or a satellite event. Bring a valid photo identification card, such as a driver’s license to the event. You do NOT have to accept the animal if the animal does not meet your expectations. There is no penalty for not taking the animal. If you decline the animal in person, you may request a credit towards a future adoption. The BLM will load your animal into an approved trailer, please bring a halter if you wish to have your animal haltered prior to bringing them home.
- Bring Home your Wild Horses and Burros: Unload your animal directly into your corral and shelter. Give your horse or burro time to adjust and become accustomed to their new surroundings. Call 1-800-370-3936 or email [email protected] with any questions or for assistance.
OCALA Adoption and Sales Event: Dates for the optional satellite pick up locations are Ocala, FL (May 10)
Facility Name: Southeastern Livestock Pavilion
Address: 2232 NE Jacksonville Road, Ocala, FL 34470-3615